Thursday, November 02, 2006

Day 1 update

I'll sum it up: not good. I planned to give myself a good way to ease in to this NaProWriMo thing, namely that I would start by simply writing a report on a project I recently completed. It's not technically part of my proposal, but it has to be done, it's fairly straightforward, and it would get me in the writing spirit.

I wrote about five sentences.

Today probably won't be much better, as I have to spend time putting together a presentation for tomorrow, but I'm going to redouble my efforts. Surely I can write an entire paragraph. Surely.

Totally unrelated - if anyone has a suggestion for a Cinderella doll that will make both me and my soon-to-be-5-year-old happy, I would love to hear about it. I'm fine with indulging princess fantasies, but I'm not so keen on freakish unrealistic Barbie bodies yet. Googling phrases such as "cinderella doll feminist," "cinderella doll realistic" and "cinderella please let me keep my lunch down" haven't gotten me far, although I have now read several middling college papers on body image and have also discovered the importance of realistic, rooted hair in dolls.

2 comments:

Allison said...

Maybe you could make your own (should I duck?).

I have a friend who just made her girls pirate dolls. Not a lot of sewing was required (I'm not sure she even used a pattern - just some beige cotton fabric, some yarn, and some thread) but she was able to personalize them and they turned out great. I've been thinking I should try something like that for Christmas presents, but I'm still recovering from Halloween costumes...

Anyway, if not, Greg did find some soft Disney Princess dolls for our girls a couple years ago. Soft dolls tend to score lower on the Yick factor since they rarely have breasts.

Ruth said...

Allison, ducking isn't necessary, but I did laugh when I read your suggestion! If I was crafty, maybe... Thanks for the suggestions, both of you! I don't think she has anything too specific in mind (kid has never seen a commercial) but she does feel quite strongly that Cinderella is blonde and only wears blue dresses. I guess I need to actually go to a toy store before I start bemoaning my lack of choices.